Boxley, established by William Wise Boxley, is founded. The company started their first quarry in 1908, 58 miles west of Roanoke, VA. The second quarry, Pembroke Limestone Works, was opened in Giles County as well, and by 1916 it was the largest of the quarries. Quarry number three was opened in 1913, known as The Pounding Mill Quarry. The fourth quarry, Blue Ridge Stone Company opened in 1917. Most work was being done by hand, mule carts, and some steam machinery; their first mechanical shovel cost $4,500.